Award-winning Humourist, Motivational Speaker and Workplace Energizer
Michael Kerr, Speaker, CSP is one of North America's leading authorities on fostering innovative and inspiring workplace cultures. His presentations - known for introducing practical ideas that audiences can put to work immediately — are delivered in a truly unforgettable and hilarious fashion for maximum impact. Why choose between compelling leadership content, inspiring ideas and fun, when you can have all three at the same time?
A "Hall of Fame" and award-winning international business speaker, trainer, and bestselling author of numerous books, Michael has delivered his captivating keynote presentations and workshops to thousands of audiences around the world, from the US to Iran to Austria. His programs offer relevant, practical ideas, as delivered with his memorable brand of clean, high-energy humour.
A former government manager and business owner for over twenty years, Michael is the author of Inspiring Workplaces: Creating the Kind of Workplace Where Everyone WANTS to Work, and Putting Humor to Work. His company, Humour at Work, offers books, training DVDs, audio CDs, and numerous support resources to help any organization build a more successful workplace culture.
Michael Kerr's Speaking Presentations:
Most Requested & "Signature" Keynote:
HUMOUR IN THE WORKPLACE:
"Putting Humor To Work"
Putting Humor to Work presentations offer practical, relevant ideas delivered in a fun, energetic and memorable style. In this dynamic, humor-filled and content packed presentation audiences will not only laugh, they’ll discover how humor can help create a more productive, stress-free and creative work environment.
You will laugh as you learn:
- How humour can help you choose a more positive workplace attitude;
- Four myths about putting humour to work (it’s not about being funny);
- Why humour at work makes dollars . . . and sense;
- The health benefits of laughter—the latest in laughter research;
- Three reasons why humour is one of the most powerful stress busters;
- The "3 R’s" of humour and stress management;
- It’s not always what you say, it’s how you say it that matters;
- Customer service with a laugh;
- Teams that laugh together, stay together;
- Sparking creative thinking through the power of play and humour;
- Practicing "safe" workplace humour;
- Guiding lights for putting humour to work without getting fired!
Keynotes presentations typically last from 45 – 90 minutes, while longer half day or full day workshops offer the chance for more group interaction and team learning activities. Tailored To Your Needs (in consultation with Michael Kerr.) Includes fun giveaways, door prizes and the resource handout "130 Ways to Put Humor to Work."
"Creating the Kind of Workplace Where Everyone Wants to Work"
Inspiring Workplaces offer practical, relevant ideas on how to create healthier, more engaging and more productive workplace environments, delivered in a humorous and memorable style.
You will laugh as you learn:
- Choosing your workplace attitude before it chooses you;
- Why inspiring workplaces value their values;
- Dreaming of a better future: why a compelling vision matters;
- Why (and how) inspiring workplaces put humour to work;
- Creating inspiring service to fellow employees or customers;
- Inspiring creative thinking in the workplace;
- Inspiring communication in the workplace: How we say things matters!
- Inspiring employees: the top motivating influences in any workplace;
- Thanks a lot! The importance of celebrating, recognizing and rewarding;
- Guiding lights for creating healthier, more inspiring workplaces.
Keynotes presentations typically last from 45 – 90 minutes, while longer half day or full day workshops offer the chance for more group interaction and team learning activities. Tailored To Your Needs (in consultation with Michael Kerr.) The presentations include door prizes, fun giveaways and the resource handout "Inspiring Workplaces."
"Keeping Employees Engaged During the Good,
the Bad and even the Ugly Times!"
Discover what more and more inspiring leaders are realizing: that your sense of humour truly is one of the most under-valued and under-appreciated resources you have at your disposal to help you motivate and inspire your employees, lead with a more authentic style, connect with employees and foster a more innovative and healthy workplace.
Audiences will learn:
- What it means to provide truly inspiring leadership;
- What leading with laughter means (and why it isn’t about being funny);
- Leading a values-driven workplace Simple ways to boost your H.Q. (humour quotient);
- Using humour to connect, reward, recognize and motivate employees;
- Why humour is the most powerful stress buster available;
- How to laugh your way to a more creative workplace.
Keynotes presentations typically last from 45 – 90 minutes, while longer half day or full day workshops offer the chance for more group interaction and team learning activities. Tailored To Your Needs (in consultation with Michael Kerr.) The presentations include door prizes, fun giveaways and the resource handout "130 Ways to Put Humour to Work" and "Inspiring Workplaces."
PUTTING CREATIVITY TO WORK
Do you want to get more ideas from your employees? And better ideas? Do you want to eliminate "butt-headed thinking" (but, we can’t do that!)? Putting Creativity to Work offers simple, practical ideas on how to foster a more creative workplace, delivered in a fun, memorable style.
Audiences will learn:
- Why creativity is the most valuable workplace commodity;
- The three most important traits of innovative workplaces;
- Storming the brains: how to inspire creativity in your meetings;
- The humour connection: Why HA + Ha = AHA!
- Simple ways to get generate more ideas;
- Eliminating idea-squashing language and behaviour;
- Turning failure on its heads;
- Advancing and selling your ideas: how to turn ideas into results.
Keynotes presentations typically last from 45 – 90 minutes, while longer half day or full day workshops offer the chance for more group interaction and team learning activities. Tailored To Your Needs (in consultation with Michael Kerr.) The presentations include door prizes, fun giveaways and the resource handout "Putting Creativity To Work."
INSPIRING IDEAS FOR INSPIRING PRESENTATIONS
It’s not so much WHAT you say that matters, it’s HOW you say it! How you say it, how you make that sales pitch, how you deliver that speech at the annual conference or how you present an idea in the boardroom, means the difference between success and failure. Or at least between being mediocre and brilliantly effective.
It can mean the difference between boring your audience into a catatonic stupor and keeping them awake; the difference between alienating your audience and connecting with the audience; the difference between having absolutely no impact on your audience (and really, how depressing is that?) and inspiring your audience to action, whether it be an audience of 3 or 3,000.
Inspiring Ideas for Inspiring Presentations workshops offer practical tips designed to help any level of speaker improve both their confidence and their speaking skills. Here’s what audiences will learn from a veteran professional speaker and presentations coach with more than 25 years experience:
- Mastering your nerves before they get the best of you;
- Preparing the presentation, why 90% of the presentation is in the plan;
- Getting to know your audience: why you need to know your audience;
- How audiences learn best;
- Organizing your talk: Why structure and editing is critical;
- Using PowerPoint effectively: The do’s and definitely don’t do’s!;
- Adding spice to the mix: How to use humour, anecdotes and other tricks of the trade to keep people engaged and to make sure your messages pack a punch;
- Keeping it simple: why direct language matters;
- Managing a Q & A effectively;
- Introducing introductions: the best ways to poem;
- Conclusions about conclusions: Your best exit strategies
Michael Kerr's Learning + Development Workshop:
Inspiring Leadership: Creating a Purpose-Driven, Values-Based, Innovative and Yes, Fun Culture for a 21st-Century Workforce
Duration: Half day, full day or two day workshop
Target Audiences: Frontline supervisors, middle managers and senior leaders looking to re-energize their workplace culture to drive phenomenal results. A version is also available for all employee events that include front line employees.
Culture drives success. In fact, when I ask inspiring leaders from around the world what’s been more important to their success – business strategy or culture, 95% say it’s their culture.
But great cultures don’t happen by accident. You can’t fake a great culture, and you sure as heck can’t buy it. An inspiring culture requires a dedicated commitment by every leader in an organization. The Human Capital Institute suggests that 70% of a leaders’ time should be focussed on talent development and culture building – culture is just that important. So if you want an inspiring culture, there’s no getting around it – you need to invest in making that happen!
Why Invest in Inspiring Leadership Training?
Providing your leaders with the insights, inspiration and tools to focus intentionally on building an inspiring culture will help you:
- Build a culture that delivers better bottom line business results. (After all, if you’re in business, isn’t this what it’s ultimately about?)
- Foster a culture that will attract more who are a better fit for your organization.
- Improve your employee retention rates and reduce employee absenteeism rates.
- Build greater resiliency in the face of unexpected change.
- Build a culture where leaders and employees actively seek out change, challenge assumptions, and become restless with the status quo.
- Build a culture that thrives on ideas and turning ideas into action.
- Build a culture that puts people first and service first.
- Reduce silos and improve teamwork.
- Reduce stress and conflict in the workplace.
- Increase happiness levels of nearly everyone in your workplace (“nearly everyone” because, let’s be honest, no matter what you do, there’s just no pleasing some people).
And ultimately…create a “want to” kind of workplace instead of a “have to” kind of workplace. A workplace where people want to show up on a Monday morning and enthusiastically contribute their ideas and their passion towards building a better YOU. The kind of workplace where everyone who comes in contact with you – be it your customers, employees, partners, suppliers, or family members, walk away thinking: “That is a remarkable place. The kind of place I’d like to work.”*
*Okay, if you think I’m being a little over the top then we need to talk. After all, there are organizations out there that have achieved this lofty goal (or at least come close) – Zappos, Google, AFA JCDecaux, SAS, just to name a few. And no, it’s not going to happen overnight and yes, maybe you won’t ever get to those dizzying heights, but isn’t that the direction you should at least be aiming for?
What Participants Will Learn
With dozens of real-world, relevant examples, and through interactive exercises that get people engaged and, at times, up on their feet, participants will learn:
- Why culture is everything and everything is culture.
- 5 “killer” questions to keep asking about your culture.
- Leadership vs. manager-ship: What’s the difference and why does it matter?
- How your culture connects with your branding.
- Recruiting and hiring: Why finding the right people is critical, hiring for attitude, and hiring for a culture fit.
- The on-boarding process: How to teach your culture to new employees.
- The role of mentoring, training, and coaching in building a strong culture.
- Being on purpose: Why “why” matters now more than ever and why your vision statement might be giving everyone a case of the “blahs.”
- Shifting attitudes: Shifting employees from a job mindset to a calling mindset.
- Valuing your values: How to communicate your values, celebrate your values, and make sure your values actually mean something.
- Motivating the troops: Why money isn’t always honey, what most organizations get dead wrong about this topic, and 5 powerful Ps for more effective motivation.
- Creating a “service-first” culture where everyone understands that some of their most important customers are sitting right next to them!
- Communication is everything and everything is communication: Shifting from being merely efficient to being truly effective with your communication.
- Getting your meetings right. How daily team huddles can strengthen your culture and why getting your meetings “right” is critical!
- How to drive more creativity and innovation: Building a culture that challenges assumptions, questions everything, creates a safe space for ideas, and turns passion and ideas into action.
- The humor advantage: Why leaders need to demonstrate a healthy sense of humor and how humor both drives and reflects an inspiring culture.
- Five effective ways to jumpstart a culture shift.
Take Away Resources and Follow Up
To help keep the messages and ideas alive in your workplace, the workshop also includes a whole suite of electronic resources for participants, including:
- “Inspiring Questions for Inspiring Workplaces”
- “340 Ways to Put Humor to Work”
- “Inspiring Workplaces: Creating the Kind of Workplace Where Everyone Wants to Work
- “Why Culture is Everything and Everything is Culture”
- “6 P‘s of Powerful Workplace Motivation”
- Article: “Lessons from a Workplace Where Everyone Smiles”
- Article: “Zapped By Zappos”
Communication at Work:
- “Effective, Inspiring Communication in the Workplace”
- 52 Meeting Opener Ideas checklist
- 24 Awesome Meeting Ideas
- “How to Turn Complainers Into Explainers”
Humor at Work:
- “Putting Humor to Work”
- “How to Jumpstart More Fun at Work”
- “Laughing Your Way to the Top”
Putting Creativity to Work:
- “25 Ways to Keep Ideas Flowing in Your Workplace”
Additional options that we’d be happy to discuss with you include:
- Signed copies of Michael’s latest, raved about book, “The Humor Advantage: Why Some Businesses Are Laughing All the Way to the Bank.” Michael’s book is packed with relevant ideas on building a great culture, making it not only an invaluable resource, but also a memorable gift for Incredible bulk discount rates are available for Michael’s clients.
- The 30-Day “Inspiring Workplace Culture” video program. A 2-minute video featuring Michael’s voice and messages delivered to your every participants’ e-mail inbox each day for 30 days. A great way to reinforce the messages and stay inspired.
- Follow up video messages from Michael customized for your team to talk about your specific challenges. Monthly or quarterly video options are available.
One of the best and one of the most highest rated speakers we've ever had at our annual confderence.
–Farm Credit Canada
One of the best and one of the most highest rated speakers we've ever had at our annual confderence.
–Farm Credit Canada
He was fabulous. What a fantastic speaker!!
–Association of Yukon Communities
We were drowning in tears of laughter – Michael is a very dynamic and upbeat speaker. His presentation was an excellent way to end our conference.
You received the highest evaluation out of any speaker we've ever had. Well done!
–Mr. Safety Shoes
Michael, your presentation was beyond excellent! I cannot thank you enough for all of your hard work prior to and at our conference last week. You have the unique ability as a speaker to both entertain and educate people. Our audience all felt you had a good understanding of our business challenges, and were darn funny at the same time. Your presentation was the perfect mix of a serious business based message, along with a very funny and engaging delivery. Michael Kerr is a very talented, entertaining and compelling speaker. I would strongly recommend Michael Kerr to any company as I would use his services again without question.
–President, Sandvik Canada, Inc.
A heartfelt thank you for helping to make the National Wholesale Conference an event to remember. Your keynote was exactly what we were looking for to kick things off - high energy, packed with great ideas, and laugh out loud funny. The feedback from the Store managers was incredible, and you left everyone with positive energy to take back to the workplace.
–Loblaw Companies Limited
Michael Kerr was amazing! Not only was he thoroughly entertaining but he also delivered a valuable, pertinent message at the same time. His delivery was great. It was well received by the audience. I would confidently recommend Michael to anyone looking for an incredible and inspiring speaker. Great job!"
Your name and topic brought a record crowd to our dinner meeting. Your presentation not only provided us with an opportunity to laugh, but also with a chance to look at how we can use humor to make our workplaces truly exciting and fun places to be!
–Human Resources Management Association of Manitoba
You had our delegates on the edge of their seats with your anecdotes.
–Canadian Registered Safety Professionals
You were absolutely sensational yesterday! Magical! Inspiring! Outrageous! Mesmerizing! I only heard the absolute best comments about you...WOW! Thank you for ending our year in such a phenomenal way!
–Canadian Association of Professional Speakers
The delegates were truly entertained, educated and enlivened by your presentation. The fact that we could acquire someone of such high calibre as yourself was a true bonus!
To anyone looking for a humourous and educational speaker - Mike was outstanding. Not only was he very funny and entertaining, there was a lot to learn about humour in the workplace. We will see him again ... no question about it!
–Canadian Association of Pharmacy Technicians
We made the right decision. Michael’s talk was both enlightening and entertaining. Michael delivered everything we hoped for and more. 83% of our delegates rated him as excellent, the other 17% as good. How many speakers earn ratings like this? I recommend Michael without reservation, he will NOT disappoint.
–Independent Community Bankers of America
Your talk was a HUGE success, I have received many compliments on my choice of keynote speaker. Your topic was an excellent compliment to the more technical nature of the conference, and was both entertaining and thought provoking.
–Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
I have never heard so many compliments for this type of session. Michael presents valuable, pertinent and USEFUL information in a manner that is highly effective.
–Sustainable Resources Development
Michael Kerr did an excellent job of demonstrating how humour can influence a positive attitude, relieve stress, build stronger teams, spark creativity and improve morale.
–Allstate Canada Group